Hitting the Cape

I've made it to Cape Cod!  On Tuesday, I jumped ahead a little to start in Wareham to avoid walking on road with my big pack, which I have dubbed Lucy. 

Lucy, as in Lucy who pulls the football away from Charlie Brown.  With her on my back, the goal line each day seems to get further and further because I have to walk slower. Alas, I keep going. 

The trek to Bourne took me on some of the best greenway yet.  Near the Mass Maritime Academy as you turn onto the Cape Cod Canal Bikeway you're looking up at the impressive looking railroad bridge.  You turn left, and the path runs parallel to the water as you head towards the Bourne Bridge.

The air was crisp, yet so many people were in shorts and t-shirts to my long pants and jacket.  It was really a perfect afternoon.

It was approaching dinner time, and my host for the night wouldn't be able to retrieve me until 7:30, so I made my way to Mezza Luna for some food.  The folks at the bar were talking about driving up Mount Washington in New Hampshire, and I chimed in that I had hiked it instead.  They thought I was nuts, and I learned that you get the 'this car climbed Mt. Washington' sticker with your admission.  Michael and I would always snicker a little when we saw those on cars we'd pass.

After a glass of wine with Kevin, I headed outside to wait for my ride with Maura.

I cannot say enough about she and her family's kindness in hosting me.  Instead of just the one night, I was invited to stay for two, and I accepted.

On Wednesday, Maura dropped me off near the Sagamore Bridge.  My destination was West Barnstable, with no designated greenways.

The trip over the bridge kept me on my toes as cars and trucks sped by, and then the first part of the day included sidewalks and quiet streets.

The route took me through the historic district of Sandwich, with an impressive town hall that stands next to Dexter's Grist Mill.

The latter part of the day was spent dodging cars with no sidewalks, and I was grateful when I reached West Barnstable's town green to await my Uber. 

I finished my day with a meal at Dolphin Restaurant in Barnstable Village before I headed back to Bourne.

And now it's Thursday.  I'm supposed to be walking to Hyannis, but the forecast has called for rain and thunderstorms all day.  So instead I'm waiting at Maura's for Terrie to arrive.  It's cheating a little, but I'm also dry and safe.  I'll pass the 400 mile mark on my way to Brewster instead!